When it’s All Said and Done by David Ahlman

Pablo, Cat in the City by Max Johnson



When it’s All Said and Done by David Ahlman

When it's all said and done –

When the beating drum of heart is stunned –

When pulsations of life cease –

When breath for the final time breaths –


When things that mattered at last moment end –

With the halt of this natural man –

When worms infest this feeble flesh –

When erosion eats whatever’s left –


When only pieces of bone remain –

Casketed beneath a six-foot grave –

When all that survives beyond this body –

Is memories written or spoken in story –


When cold ground and warm sound shuffle me home –

Back to the God I believed to know –

When anything stayed in the form of me –

Is imprinted and embedded in posterity –


When it’s all said and done –

When I’m dead and gone –

May they who remember my face –

Find something good to say.