My Struggle by Sahibou Sow



My Struggle by Sahibou Sow

Back in 2005 I had a terrible accident, I thought I was dead. I was surrounded with a lot
people and I kind of lost my memory. This is how it all started. In 2005, I had difficult time to go
back to school, my mother was gone, and my father is living here in America. I used to live with
my Uncle and my Aunt. I got kicked out of school, because I didn’t pay my tuition. I was
worried; I ask myself what am I going to do now? Every morning I saw my friends going to
school and I was home alone. I was like a slave to other people. Since there was no kid in the
house, they all went to school, every one sent me to do there stuff, go buy me this and that,
and I have to do it otherwise I will be beaten. My uncle and my aunt did not have enough
money to send me back to school. So I decide to go out and sell blue plastic bags. I don’t make
good money, but it will help me and my family. I began to sell blue plastic bags. I walked on the
market; I usually go to places, where there will be more people, like bus station. People with a
lot of stuff in their hands, they probably want to buy a blue plastic bag. It’s a huge bag, you can
put your stuff in and it cost about two dollars. On the street there a lot children’s selling
different products, like corn, peanuts, banana and water. When I walked to the bus station I can
smell the dirt of the street, I can smell food, like fish, chicken and vegetables. I can also see
women’s and men traveling. Men always wear pants, long sleeve t shirt and women like to
wear skirt and long dresses. When you go to the market there is always a lot of vehicle and
people, it is the best place where you can sell your items. It was on Saturday, On Saturday most
people voyage from city to city; so it was a pretty good time to sell my blue bags plastic. I remember the day; I made a lot of money. My plastic bags were finished. So I had to run home
to get more bags. Although it was getting pretty late, so I went home. My aunt was happy; she
told me not go too far, she wanted me to stay around. I said OK. I wanted to go to the place,
where they bought all my bags. She told me not to go there, but I didn’t listen to her and I still
wanted to make more money, so decide to stay around, but I wasn’t getting any clients, then I
went down to my favorite place. Where there are more people. When I got there people
started buying my plastic bags. I was happy. It was getting late and I needed to go home before
I got in trouble. There was a truck going on the same direction as my house, so I hung on the
back of the truck. My friend told me not to do this, I didn’t listen to him. I told him that I want
to go home. Apparently the truck was going to different city and I was scared. If the driver saw
me hanging on his truck, I will be in trouble with him. The truck was going about 50 mph and I
look behind me, there was no car coming and I jumped and I fell on the road. I didn’t feel a lot
whole pain, because I passed out for few minutes and I couldn’t see anything. I heard people
talking and screaming and then I open my eyes and I saw many people surrounded me and a lot
of blood all over me. Then I realize that my chin was cut and then I started crying.
Most people thought I was dead. A couple minute later, I was surrounded by police.
They took me to the hospital and they called my parents, they were scared to death. I lost two
of my teeth and I injured my chin and I broke my jaw. It was a nightmare. I had a terrible year. I
couldn’t eat well, my chin was broken. I had hard time sleeping. I made a big mistake; I
should’ve listened to my aunt and my friend. I break a rule, but I learned from it. We all should
do what our parents tell us neither to do nor not to do. We should always listen to elder people
and not jump from speeding trucks? We all have something to tell, everyone have a story. It
doesn’t matter where you come from? You have something to say. Moving to new country,
new culture, new people and new language is very hard. I am really happy to be here, taking my
education to the next level. Everyday I wake up with one dream and I go back to sleep with the
same dream. I went through a lot thing and I can’t believe that I am still alive. America is my
new home, but I will never forget where I came from.