I Believe by Jessica Ash

Dostoevsky by Thomas Costello



I Believe by Jessica Ash

I believe
In the goodness of people.
I believe
In the color purple,
Because she whispers sweet nothings and
Veils me with lustrous, perfect hope.

I believe
In the power of words
And in the written word.
The smell of an old library book when
Many hands have graced its pages.
This mystical mindset; we know not, their story.

I believe
In lilies blooming,
For they signify springtime coming.
I believe in rich red hues
Splashing my lips with romance.
Wrapping my dress in a dizzying frenzy
Of passion.

I believe
God will give us grace, and hope, and love.
I believe
That we are to give God
Grace, and hope, and love.
I believe
In the kindness of her tender hand,
When she offers you an orange
Because you can’t afford one.

I believe
In nuzzling that nestles itself
In the nape of her neck,
Because he loves her.

I believe
In the truth of tongues.
Rusty fire of the laden mouth, Because lingua is stunning and profound.
Because lingua can also disperse lies
Jeopardize the soul, and tear the heart apart.
Lingua can birth great abundance or come ruthlessly slashing.

I believe
In the sanctity of marriage.
Because man and woman
Are to trust one another wholly.
Love one another wholly.
And surely not everyone has forgotten this…

I believe in the laughter of children,
Their ordinarily muted voices
Bursting with tummy-tickling giggles.
The swaying boundary, bonding itself between
Innocence and ignorant bliss.

I believe
In the purity of a newborn baby
Looking blindly into your eyes.
Naturally, knowing you will keep her warm
Because you’re mama.

I believe
In the tears that are shed
Behind closed doors,
Because no one else can know
The things you mask,
Behind that perfectly painted lip.

I believe
In the goodness of people.

When the struggling help the sovereign.
When a child cares for a bed-ridden parent.
When a man loves a woman.
When a brightly pair walk hand in hand
Recently celebrating their 50th
 anniversary.
When a father holds his daughter. When a mother holds her son.
When separation becomes unity.
When God becomes a family member.
When tears become smiles.
When fragrance wafts through the air
And I remember that one special moment.
When a fragment of joy bellies into happiness.

I believe
In the goodness of people.
I believe
In the color purple,
Because she veils me with lustrous, perfect hope.

I believe.