Darkness by David Ahlman

Lake Powell in July by Robin Glassey




Darkness by David Ahlman

Deep in this cavern – in fear –
I stay,
Wondering how I arrived from
The entry way.

The darkness envelopes as I wait inside
Here;
As I question each every step pulling me in
Deeper.

I could try to climb up where I came
Down,
Is this the same direction as rescue,
Safe ground?

Doubt now clouds my despairing
Mind
Just as the darkness has shadowed my now
Blind eyes.

Stuck in this agony; this hell; this
Hole.
Covered in dust, dirtied with
Coal.

In the lowly center earth
I am;
Surrounded by demons Invisible,
Hidden.

I maze out the time fighting
Depression;
Praying for someone to be my
Redemption.

If only a light could appear in
The wake
To give me an exit; withdrawal;
Escape.

Only if I knew exactly where
I am,
Then perhaps a signal above I could
Send.

Yet nobody knows of this fissure
I walk;
Unto no one are my feelings
Unlocked.